In 2018, Nearly a Third of American Drivers Are Thinking About Getting a New Vehicle According to 2018 Driving Resolutions Survey Commissioned by GM BuyPower Card
January marks the start of a new year and with it, reflections on 2017 and new goals for 2018. Considering the amount of time Americans devote to their cars, many New Year's resolutions not only focus on improving personal well-being but also everything from purchasing a new vehicle to changing driving habits.
The 2018 New Year's Driving Resolutions Survey commissioned by the GM BuyPower Card -- which included 1,134 licensed drivers in the U.S. -- revealed that nearly a third of respondents (33.2%) indicated that they "should get a new vehicle in 2018," while 15% indicated "they will" purchase or lease a new car this year.
For those gearing up for a new vehicle purchase, nearly a third (27.2%) of those surveyed agree that they need to start saving in 2018. In fact, nearly a quarter (22.6%) of respondents are already saving towards the purchase or lease of a new vehicle. Prospective buyers might want to consider leveraging a rewards credit card like the GM BuyPower Card, where Cardholders can accumulate 5% Earnings on the first $5,000 in purchases, and 2% after that, to apply toward the future purchase or lease of a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle.*
Some other interesting findings from the 2018 Driving Resolutions Survey commissioned by the GM BuyPower Card:
The Road Ahead in 2018:
· 44.4% of respondents expect to see more fuel efficient vehicles on the road as the top vehicle trend of 2018
· 40.9% of respondents expect environmentally-friendly vehicles (i.e., electric) to become more mainstream in 2018
· 31.9% cite self-driving vehicles as the third biggest trend for 2018
King of the Road in 2018:
· American drivers are looking more toward SUVs as their top vehicle choice, with 31.8% naming SUVs the #1 dream vehicle that they would want to lease or purchase in 2018
· Trucks were second at 14.9%, and luxury vehicles and sports cars trailed SUVs at 11.7% and 10.4%, respectively
Getting More Out of Your Vehicle in 2018:
· When asked what car-related resolutions consumers would make, keeping their vehicle clean, both inside and out, is by far their top resolution
o More than half (57.1%) said they will clean the interior of their vehicle on a regular basis, while 39% said that they will give their vehicle a regular exterior cleaning
· Scheduled vehicle maintenance also resonated amongst those surveyed, with 15.9% indicating that they have made a resolution to get their brakes and tires checked regularly in 2018
· 13% of American drivers are making a resolution to use less fuel in 2018 compared to 2017
No matter your driving resolution for 2018, the GM BuyPower Card is a great resource for anyone planning for a new car in the future. Cardholders can accumulate 5% Earnings on the first $5,000 in purchases, and 2% after that, to apply toward the future purchase or lease of a new Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle.*
Learn more about the GM BuyPower Card by visiting www.buypowercard.com.
*BuyPower Card Earnings may not be used with fleet vehicle incentive programs or with some other offers and discounted sale programs, such as the GM Employee Discount